[fprint] Driver for Upek Eikon Touch 510?

Nils Ole Tippenhauer nils_tippenhauer at sutd.edu.sg
Tue Sep 9 20:05:39 PDT 2014

Hi list,

I would like to start by thanking you for libfprint and the fprint_demo.
I've been using fprint_demo for little biometrics-related exercises in
teaching for a couple of years, and it is a great tool to quickly
demonstrate how captured images look like, and what kind of minituae are
detected.

I recently switched institutions and bought new fingerprint scanners, an
U.are.U 4500 optical scanner and a Upek Eikon touch 510. The 4500 works
nicely out of the box, but the Upek touch doesn't. I would like to ask
whether there is a known solution for the 510. The 510 is area-based
capacitive as far as I can tell. The Upek Eikon touch 310 was working
nicely the last time I used it. Both look visually very similar, so I
was hoping drivers would not be an issue.

I get the following info on dmesg when connecting the scanner:

usb 1-6: New USB device found, idVendor=147e, idProduct=2016
usb 1-6: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
usb 1-6: Product: Biometric Coprocessor
usb 1-6: Manufacturer: UPEK

With the default libfprint from Ubuntu 14.04 (20080303git-ubuntu), the
UPEKE2 driver is loaded in fprint-demo. As far as I can tell, UPEKE2 is
line-based, so the driver is probably incorrect.

I took the latest libfprint git and disabled the UPEKE2 driver. In that
case, the upektc_img is loaded (sometimes referred to as upekts_img).
With that driver, an image is scanned, but it looks garbled. My guess it
that it is still assuming the device is line-based (from a brief look
into the code).

Can anyone give me some pointers towards getting the 510 working?

Cheers,
Nils
This email may contain confidential and/or proprietary information that is exempt from disclosure under applicable law and is intended for receipt and use solely by the addressee(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this email, or any attachment, is strictly prohibited. Please delete the email immediately and inform the sender. Thank You