Another self-intro

Josef Spillner josef at ggzgamingzone.org
Sun Nov 30 01:18:22 PST 2008

Hello,

first of all, I'm glad to see more coordination in packaging games, not just
among packagers within a distribution, but also across distributions. I'm
involved with KDE Games to some extent and a lot more involved with the GGZ
Gaming Zone project, trying to bring the ultimate online gaming experience to
ordinary desktop users and all that...

We've just updated our GGZ @ distros status page:
   http://www.ggzgamingzone.org/releases/0.0.14/download.php
I'm personally involved with the Debian/Ubuntu packages, and know some
contacts at other distributions, but by far not all of them, and as such
would be thrilled to be able to reach all of them via this list.
First task for those few distributors still listed under "outdated or
incomplete" would be to update the packages, I'd be more than glad to assist
for that matter :-)

One pending issue is that for a couple of months we've been publishing
snapshot releases for our upcoming 1.0 version, and apparently it has enough
cool features that some upstreams like KDE, GNOME Games and Freeciv would
like to use the newer GGZ libraries. It might be possible, although not
without risks, to release the libraries as a bundle first and follow up with
the tools, server and applications later. In any case, preliminary Debian
packages exist and we'd be happy to help out with others in order to prepare
the release. The number of source packages has been vastly reduced by merging
some of them, and no more postinst hooks are necessary.

Some additional dedicated packaging resources for GGZ:
  GGZ @ Debian: http://pkg-ggz.alioth.debian.org/
  GGZ @ Maemo: http://ggz-mobile.garage.maemo.org/

Speaking about Maemo: how many distributors support icons in the package
selection? This feature makes installation of packages so much more
enjoyable.

Josef