Ubuntu's application indicators and GeoClue

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Fri Apr 23 07:07:48 PDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 17:00 +0300, Henri Bergius wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Reading Mark Shuttleworth's post about application indicators in
> Ubuntu made me think:
> http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/347
>
> An app indicator for GeoClue (well, for location in general) would
> make sense. It could then contain a menu allowing a few activities:
>
> * Starting/stopping master provider
> * Starting/stopping individual providers ("Stop GPS")
> * Updating manual location status
> * Viewing user's current location
> * Viewing location of user's contacts (via Empathy and Gwibber?)
>
> Potentially it could also show what applications are currently using
> location information, as that might help with privacy concerns. But do
> we have that info available?

I think it's useless having an applet to do that, which exposes far too
much technical information, when we don't even have a proper setup
application.

And the application indicators aren't in any distributions apart from
Ubuntu right now, which severely reduces its target market.

Let's walk before we can run, and have a decent setup application.