[ghns] ghns status, api, etc.

Jeremy Whiting jeremy at scitools.com
Fri Jun 19 08:38:54 PDT 2009

Hey all, especially Frank and Josef,

I'm wondering about the state of ghns as it is now.  The KNewStuff2 client
library has been dormant for a long time (mostly because of my lack of time
probably) but I believe I could easily get it up-to-date with respect to ghns
functionality (viewing comments, reading comments, searching, voting, even
uploading, etc.) if we can clearly define a common api for interacting with web
services. (Or even discovering the functionality of different api's
automatically maybe?)

One example is voting, in Frank's opendesktop REST api there's one method to
vote for items, by passing an id, and a vote, and authenticating.  In hotstuff
there's a different api using soap and dxs to do the same thing.  This is
troublesome to the client because it basically has to know and understand both
protocols/api's to work with both.  I'm wondering if we could have on each web
service an xml file or something that clearly defines the api and protocols
used.  This would make it fairly simple for the client to support both
protocols/api's.  This could also make it fairly simple for sites that provide
only artwork/other data via rss feeds to provide an xml file explaining it's
rss feed format so KNewStuff2 could use them as providers also.

Just wanting to get the ball rolling on some collaboration/consensus to get
things working better and get missing functionality implemented.

Jeremy