[ghns] ghns status, api, etc.

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Mon Jun 22 08:50:06 PDT 2009

Hello,

Am Montag, 22. Juni 2009 15:45:28 schrieb Frank Karlitschek:
> Josef, Jeremy, are you at GCDS? Perhaps we can discuss a few ideas in
> person.

I will be in the Islas Canarias for several days, but will be available at
GCDS only until the 7th, not during the BoF days.

> I for one plan to support and push the open collaboration services API
> in the future. I´m in contact with people from other free software
> project who plan to support it also.
> I think it has the biggest potential to become a cross desktop and
> cross platform standard.

Personally, I'm all for a powerful collaboration services which find
acceptance among many projects and which scale from single line of code
invocations (current KNS2 download, for example) to more complex social
interactions.

It would be good to see a compact analysis of what your methods provide over
the current functionality. Then there's the difference between REST and SOAP
APIs although I wouldn't see this as a major strategic issue because both
could coexist and in fact all modern service framework technologies go for
single-source dual stacks.

It will also be a requirement that at least one free implementation exists.
Otherwise, KDE (or ghns.fd.o for that matter) would send out the wrong signal
about free services and undermine many of the arguments of why people should
migrate away from closed systems, including closed backend services and
clouds.
Have a look at the disaster which is the handling of Amarok bug report about
libre.fm support (#188952) to see how fast such issues can backfire at the
developers....

Josef