[ghns] ghns status, api, etc.

Jeremy Whiting jeremy at scitools.com
Mon Jun 22 08:26:10 PDT 2009

On Monday 22 June 2009 07:45:28 Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> you are right. I think the current situation is not good. We should
> have one API standard for collaboration not three.
>
> Josef, Jeremy, are you at GCDS? Perhaps we can discuss a few ideas in
> person.

Unfortunately, I wont be there this year either... =( but I can put together a
few problems/questions I've hit in the client side if the two of you could get
together and discuss things that would be great (assuming josef attends).  I
do have more time to spend on this lately and probably will for a while now,
so it's a good time I think.

> I for one plan to support and push the open collaboration services API
> in the future. I´m in contact with people from other free software
> project who plan to support it also.
> I think it has the biggest potential to become a cross desktop and
> cross platform standard.
>
> But I am biased of course because I created it. :-)
>
> Perhaps we could use and extend the existing provider files to store
> information which provider support which API.
>
> What do you think?

yes, I think that's exactly what I'm thinking too.  At a minimum the
providers.xml could state which api each provider is using. Alternatively it
could specify which features it supports and how (voting="rest"
votingurl="http://something.php?$ID,$value" or somesuch.) A big part of this
wrt Josef's api is that each downloadable object needs to have an id that the
client can give to the server for voting/downloading/getting comments, etc.
that your api frank already has I believe. I would also like to use that id to
query the server if there are updates available for installed entries.

Anyway, I'm not even sure if josef is still on this list, so I'll cc this to
him also just in case.  If you two are able to meet I'll be more than happy to
make myself available via skype/irc/whatever if you like also.

thanks,
Jeremy