an issue about the wmv format support for android

Sebastian Dröge slomo at circular-chaos.org
Thu Oct 10 01:39:55 PDT 2013

On Do, 2013-10-10 at 15:50 +0800, Wankey Cheng wrote:
> Hi guys,
>     I'm going to develop a video app of android,it's need to support wmv
> format.After I search some media framework,I choose gstreamer.but,I found a
> pdf file about gstreamer of android,which said "WMV and WMA and many other
> weird codecs Only available on Tegra 3 devices",but I cound not found same
> description on offical website(both http://www.gstreamer.com/ and
> http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org).

gstreamer.com is not an official website of the GStreamer project, it's
owned and done by some company. Only gstreamer.freedesktop.org is the
official website of the GStreamer project :) But that doesn't solve your
problem I guess ;)

> so, I hope get an answer about this problem.is it true?

WMV/WMA are supported by GStreamer on any device via software decoders
(from gst-libav). They are currently not supported via hardware/device
decoders on Android, as there is no Android API that supports those
codecs (officially).

It might be possible to add support for them to the androidmedia plugin
(which uses the android.media.MediaCodec API), but would need someone
with a device that has support for it to implement. If you look at the
code, the codec specific handling in there is rather minimal, should be
easy to implement :)