how to use android media codecs in gst pipelines

Francesco Argese kekko84 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 05:10:29 PDT 2013

Hello,

I have developed an audio/video comunication software to allow comunication
among a pc software and an Android tablet (Asus EEE Pd Transform TF201 with
NVidia Tegra 3).

At the moment I have used ffmpeg encoders and decoders from both sides and
now I'm trying to optimize encoder and decoder on Android.

I have read somewhere that someone developed some codecs using android
media codec infrastructure. How is it possible to use them?

In particular I like to know how to substitute ffenc_mpeg4 element and
ffdec_mpeg4 element. For ffdec_mpeg4 I have found
amcviddec-omxgooglempeg4decoder but when I launched the pipeline the
element was not found. Is there any procedure to integrate these elements?
What is the element that substitute ffenc_mpeg4? I have not found any
documentation regarding this topic.

I also like to know if there are other commercial or open source
encoders/decoders (also to be paid) optimized for Tegra hardware.

Thank you in advance,
Francesco Argese