how to use android media codecs in gst pipelines

Francesco Argese kekko84 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 08:25:19 PDT 2013

Hello,

2013/10/10 Sebastian Dröge <slomo at circular-chaos.org>

> The names of the amvcviddec-* elements are based on the codec names
> in /etc/media_codecs.xml to prevent conflicts. You ideally use something
> like encodebin and decodebin to automatically select the best possible
> element for you, or implement your own logic around the
> GstElementFactory API to select the best suitable element.

I have found the file media_profiles.xml in my /etc/ folder (among
attachments.  Is it the same of /etc/media_codecs.xml?

In row 31 of the file I read:

  <!ATTLIST Video codec (h264|h263|m4v) #REQUIRED>

so I thought that gst element would be amcviddec-m4v for mpeg decoder. I
have tried it but element is not found by the app.

decodebin2 seems to work(but I cannot be sure that it's using android media
codec.

> Nothing that only uses public Android API. You should however be able to
> use gst-omx with Tegra, and directly use the OpenMAX IL implementation
> available for this SoC. It should be present on your Android device, you
> just need to write the appropiate configuration file for gst-omx for it.

How can I see if it is present on my Android device? Which file should be
written for gst-omx? I have found related documentation only for specific
devices but not for Android devices.

Thanks in advance,
Francesco Argese