gstreamer on Android L: no more amcviddec, PIE problem

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Wed May 13 23:47:04 PDT 2015

On Mi, 2015-05-13 at 21:40 -0700, Gregoire Gentil wrote:

> On 05/13/2015 09:01 AM, Sebastian Dröge wrote:

> >> Thanks. I will try. A few more questions: Is hardware decode supported?
> >
> > Yes
> >
> >> Is there a tarball with the runtime executable to run gst-inspect on the
> >> device? I don't see them on the page.
> >
> > No, that's not the supported way of using GStreamer on Android. You can
> > get dynamic libraries and gst-inspect if you build things yourself
> > though, but you're on your own then and it's generally more tricky to
> > set up properly than using GStreamer like in the tutorials.
> >
> > Also hardware decoding does not work unless you run GStreamer from a
> > real Android app.
> >
> >> Is there an update of the
> >> excellent old Android Gstreamer tutorials?
> >
> > You can find the tutorials ported to 1.x here:
> > http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~slomo/gst-sdk-tutorials/
> Based on tutorial-3, I have the following pipeline working:
> filesrc location=/sdcard/video.mpg ! tsdemux ! h264parse ! avdec_h264 !
> autovideosink
>
> I would like to decode in hardware. I have added androidmedia but any
> combination of amcviddec-* doesn't work: plugin not found. What would be
> the pipeline to decode in hardware? I'm testing on Android 5.0 and 5.1,
> and on Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 2013.

Try with decodebin, it will automatically select the best available
decoders.

> Also, I have downloaded the runtime 1.4.3 but I get the same PIE error
> so I can't just run gst-inspect-1.0 to see the list of available plugins...

You can write your own "gst-inspect" based on the GstElementFactory and
GstRegistry API. That way you could list all the available element
factories, and also filter out everything that is not a video decoder.

Even if you were able to run gst-inspect-1.0, you wouldn't see any
hardware decoders there then as they are only available from a real
Android app.