Android L: Missing ALL hardware video decoder (Nexus devices)

Gregoire Gentil gregoire at gentil.com
Thu May 14 09:37:02 PDT 2015

I'm using gst_registry_get_feature_list_by_plugin(gst_registry_get(),
"androidmedia") to list all the hardware-related features.

On both Nexus 7 2013 / Android 5.1 and Nexus 5 / Android 5.0, I get the
following:
amcauddec-omxgooglemp3decoder
amcauddec-omxgoogleamrnbdecoder
amcauddec-omxgoogleamrwbdecoder
amcauddec-omxgoogleaacdecoder
amcauddec-omxgoogleopusdecoder
amcvidenc-omxqcomvideoencodermpeg4
amcvidenc-omxqcomvideoencoderh263
amcvidenc-omxqcomvideoencoderavc
amcvidenc-omxgoogleh263encoder
amcvidenc-omxgoogleh264encoder
amcvidenc-omxgooglempeg4encoder
amcvidenc-omxgooglevp8encoder

On Nexus Galaxy / Android 4.3, I definitely see some hardware video
decoding features including amcviddec-omxgoogleh264decoder

I think that there is a problem here. It doesn't make sense that
Gstreamer sees all audio decoding and video encoding and not any audio
encoding nor video decoding...

Does anyone know what is happening?

Grégoire