RTSP H264 streaming not working

Mark Dion mark.dion at visualdefence.com
Thu Oct 22 11:21:50 PDT 2015

Hi there,

I've been in contact with Sebastian Droge for a couple of weeks now and he has been helping me resolve an issue with RTSP streaming using GStreamer with Android. I've been using the tutorial 5 as a base to get started, I'm working in Eclipse, and using GStreamer 1.6.0 for Android SDK. I've replaced the default URL with an RTSP address streaming on my local network. I've added all the possible plugins in the Android.mk file. For some reason I'm still not able to play the stream. I've uploaded my project here: https://github.com/markdion-vdi/gst-tutorial5-rtsp, and included the logcat file in this email. The RTSP stream has the following format:
                Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10)
                Decoded format: Planar 4:2:0 YUV

I have followed what I think is the standard procedure of setting up GStreamer with Android and RTSP isn't functioning, so I think solving this issue would help the GStreamer project as a whole to make this process clearer. Sebastian has said he is busy with other things at the moment, which is entirely understandable. I'm hoping one of you can help me with this. I'm able to provide any more information you might need. I look forward to hearing from you :)

Thanks,

Mark