[gst-devel] Clarification on documentation

Erik Walthinsen omega at cse.ogi.edu
Tue Feb 1 10:23:49 CET 2000

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Erik Walthinsen wrote:

> - Don't believe the Gnome page, always edit the SOURCES when documenting a
> given function, never the tmpl file.

More specifically, always edit the sources when documenting functions.
This ensures that if you change, add, or remove functions, the
documentation is staring you in the face saying "UPDATE ME!", which is
exactly what we want.  If it's hidden entirely in the tmpl file, you may
have no idea the docs are out of date.

For other stuff, essentially all the text you see outside a given function
definition, the only place to put the documentation is in the tmpl file,
thus, well, edit the tmpl file.

         Erik Walthinsen <omega at cse.ogi.edu> - Staff Programmer @ OGI
        Quasar project - http://www.cse.ogi.edu/DISC/projects/quasar/
   Video4Linux Two drivers and stuff - http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~omega/v4l2/
        __
       /  \             SEUL: Simple End-User Linux - http://www.seul.org/
      |    | M E G A           Helping Linux become THE choice
      _\  /_                          for the home or office user