[gst-devel] plugin splitoff

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Sun Dec 16 14:08:03 CET 2001

Hi,

together with wingo and wtay, I've made apreliminary splitoff proposal.
It's not in cvs yet, though I hope we can all agree on it soon and put it
in cvs and keep going.  We're on a good roll and we can make this work
real soon.

I'll send the tree here, and the tarball is available for
download if you're interested to take a look at it.  It won't build of
course, all of the dirs need fixing because of the new structure.  But it
should be relatively easy given the cleaned up configure.ac

As soon as we import this tarball in cvs as a plugins module, we'll put
the plumbing back in.

Then as soon as the main plugins build ok in this module, we can start
developing in this separate module.

My plan is to then move out stuff from the core module : don't generate
the makefiles anymore.  we keep the old plugins and libs dir around for
reference until we're happy with the new module.

All of this is just my opinion of course, feel free to discuss.  Just
don't take too long, we've been chewing the fat long enough already ;)

Oh yeah, some rationale about this is in the wiki.  Also, most of us ended
up feeling that we should enforce structure and policy in a gst-class
mechanism, like omega started doing.  The dirs should be easy to
categorize, and I just proved that they are by actually doing it ;)
If anyone cares I can delve deeper in the how and why and why it's
actually fancy when we start incorporating unstable libs, but not right
now.

So let us know what you all think.

Here's the tree :

plugins