[gst-devel] mpeg2 instead of DV

Erik Walthinsen omega at temple-baptist.com
Tue Dec 18 16:46:08 CET 2001

On 19 Dec 2001, Jakub Steiner wrote:

> I've got a sony consumer camera that uses mpeg2 codec instead of DV. It
> can be controlled fine with dvcont or gscanbus, but every tool expects
> DV coming out of it for grabbing.
Interesting...  Have you mentioned this to Arne Schirmacher (author of
dvgrab)?  He'll want to know about it so he can possibly modify dvgrab to
deal with mpeg streams as well as DV...  Our dv1394src should me updated
too.

> I'd like to know if it would be
> possible to use a different decoder chained after dv1394src than dvdec
> (I'm just guessing that's how it works). Although mpeg2 cameras ain't
> common these days, I bet more will come in future.
It should be, yes, if you can work out the format properly.  Just attach
the right elements to the pipeline and it should work...

> I grabbed a sample stream from the camera using dvdgrab test mode, if
> that's of use for some investigation:
> http://jimmac.musichall.cz/stuff/sony-dcr-ip5.testraw
This is definitely MPEG, a program stream.  So you should be able to feed
it to a demuxer and get the video and audio out separately.  The sample
starts at a rather random location, so `mpeg2dec -s` can't play it, but
something can.  Looking at it closer, it appears somewhat malformed, so
I'll have to get my mpeg2 stuff out again and see what I can make of it.

> http://www.letsgodigital.nl/webpages/news/df/sony/dcr.html
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0108/01082001sonymvcamcorders.asp
> http://www.simplydv.co.uk/micromv.html
<drool>