[gst-devel] mpeg2 instead of DV

Jakub Steiner jimmac at ximian.com
Tue Dec 18 17:02:07 CET 2001

On St, 2001-12-19 at 01:45, Erik Walthinsen wrote:
> On 19 Dec 2001, Jakub Steiner wrote:
>
> > I've got a sony consumer camera that uses mpeg2 codec instead of DV. It
> > can be controlled fine with dvcont or gscanbus, but every tool expects
> > DV coming out of it for grabbing.
> Interesting...  Have you mentioned this to Arne Schirmacher (author of
> dvgrab)?  He'll want to know about it so he can possibly modify dvgrab to
> deal with mpeg streams as well as DV...  Our dv1394src should me updated
> too.

Yes we already exchanged a few words. I just wanted to make sure
gstreamer developers know too ;)

> > http://jimmac.musichall.cz/stuff/sony-dcr-ip5.testraw

> This is definitely MPEG, a program stream.  So you should be able to feed
> it to a demuxer and get the video and audio out separately.  The sample
> starts at a rather random location, so `mpeg2dec -s` can't play it, but
> something can.  Looking at it closer, it appears somewhat malformed, so
> I'll have to get my mpeg2 stuff out again and see what I can make of it.

This is so cool to hear. I can create bigger dumps if the sample is too
small. Thanks for spending time on this.

Jakub
--
-[ jimmac at ximian.com ]-[ http://jimmac.musichall.cz ]-

"even a stopped clock gives a right time twice a day"