[gst-devel] gstreamer 0.1.0 on redhat 6.1 linux not working

matthew denner matt at evtechnology.com
Fri Jan 26 13:04:03 CET 2001

Dear all,

sorry for the random email but i'm having problems getting GStreamer to run
on my redhat 6.1 linux system.  i've downloaded the 0.1.0 source and built
(after removing some documentation bits where it tries to do symbolic links
even though i don't have db2ps or db2html) the stuff.  i've installed it
and run gstreamer-register (which i then had to change the permissions on
the /etc/gstreamer directory so that i had rwxr-xr-x permissions otherwise
normal users couldn't access the reg.xml file).  i've run the gstmediaplay
with a test MPEG and that played fine (lovely job :) for all of 9 seconds
(the length of the file according to gstmediaplay, real length is around
1 minute) when it suddenly stopped playing and i get:

========================= output from gstmediaplay ==========================
INFO: Initializing GStreamer Core Library
INFO: CPU features: MMX SSE
videosink: found 16 bits display
videosink: using 16 bits image 16 bits/pixel
gstplay: using element "disk_src" for offset property
gstgetbits: using i386 optimized versions
gstplay: using element "mpeg1parse" for bit_rate property
GstIDCT: using MMX_idct
gstgetbits: using i386 optimized versions
mpeg_play: using SSE optimised motion compensation
mpg123: initialized layer1&2 tables
mpg123: initializing with down_sample_sblimit 32
mpg123: finished building decode tables
gstgetbits: using i386 optimized versions
audiosink: attempting to open sound device
audiosink: setting sound card to 44100KHz 16 bit stereo (65576 bytes buffer,
32788 fragment)
audiosink: Capabilities
audiosink:   Trigger
audiosink:   Direct access
audiosink: opened audio with fd=10
mpeg_play: MPEG1 352x240, 24 fps
gstplay: eos reached
audiosink: closed sound device

** CRITICAL **: file mpeg1parse.c: line 657 (gst_mpeg1parse_chain): assertion
`buf != NULL' failed.

on stdout.

ok, i thought, i'll put that down to experience (and tell you guys about the
problem).  i then tried gsteditor and i get:

======================== output from gsteditor ==============================
INFO: Initializing GStreamer Core Library
INFO: CPU features: MMX SSE

** WARNING **: GstEditorProject: could not find signal handler
'on_show_palette1_activate'.
** WARNING **: GstEditorProject: could not find signal handler
'on_show_element_tree1_activate'.
** WARNING **: GstEditorProject: could not find signal handler
'on_preferences2_activate'.
** WARNING **: GstEditorProject: could not find signal handler
'on_save1_activate'.
** WARNING **: GstEditorProject: could not find signal handler
'on_new_file1_activate'.
** WARNING **: GstEditorProject: could not find signal handler
'on_cut1_activate'.
** WARNING **: GstEditorProject: could not find signal handler
'on_project_options1_activate'.
** WARNING **: GstEditorProject: could not find signal handler
'on_paste1_activate'.
** WARNING **: GstEditorProject: could not find signal handler
'on_clear1_activate'.
** WARNING **: GstEditorProject: could not find signal handler
'on_exit1_activate'.
** WARNING **: GstEditorProject: could not find signal handler
'on_show_property_editor1_activate'.
** WARNING **: GstEditorProject: could not find signal handler
'on_about_activate'.
** WARNING **: GstEditorProject: could not find signal handler
'on_copy1_activate'.
** WARNING **: gsteditorproperty: could not find signal handler
'on_bt_pick_signal_clicked'.

i can do very little (i.e. i can create things and change their properties
but can't do much else).

i'm hoping you can suggest what might be the problem (user error is an
acceptable answer :).  here are my system details, if you need more just ask:

redhat 6.1 linux running on intel P3
kernel 2.2.18 installed
intel 815 chipset motherboard
xfree86 3.3.5
gnome window manager (as up-to-date as it gets i believe)
alsa 0.5.10b driver with 0.5.10 utils and lib installed too
gstreamer 0.1.0

the output from gstreamer-config (all options) is:

[matt at matt temp]$ gstreamer-config --prefix --exec-prefix --version --libs
--cflags
/usr/local
/usr/local
0.1.0
-L/usr/local/lib -lgst -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic
-lgmodule -lgthread -lglib -lpthread -ldl -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm
-I/usr/local/include -I/usr/lib/glib/include -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/X11R6/include