[gst-devel] gstreamer 0.1.0 on redhat 6.1 linux not working

Wim Taymans wim.taymans at chello.be
Fri Jan 26 18:28:37 CET 2001

On 26 Jan 2001 12:04:03 +0000, matthew denner wrote:
> Dear all,

Hi Matthew,

> sorry for the random email but i'm having problems getting GStreamer to run
> on my redhat 6.1 linux system.  i've downloaded the 0.1.0 source and built
> (after removing some documentation bits where it tries to do symbolic links
> even though i don't have db2ps or db2html) the stuff.  i've installed it

hmm, this is a bug in the build procedure, we will look into it...

> and run gstreamer-register (which i then had to change the permissions on
> the /etc/gstreamer directory so that i had rwxr-xr-x permissions otherwise
> normal users couldn't access the reg.xml file).  i've run the gstmediaplay

Yup, this is a known problem that we fixed in CVS.

> with a test MPEG and that played fine (lovely job :) for all of 9 seconds
> (the length of the file according to gstmediaplay, real length is around
> 1 minute) when it suddenly stopped playing and i get:

> ========================= output from gstmediaplay ==========================
> INFO: Initializing GStreamer Core Library
> INFO: CPU features: MMX SSE
> videosink: found 16 bits display
> videosink: using 16 bits image 16 bits/pixel
> gstplay: using element "disk_src" for offset property
> gstgetbits: using i386 optimized versions
> gstplay: using element "mpeg1parse" for bit_rate property
> GstIDCT: using MMX_idct
> gstgetbits: using i386 optimized versions
> mpeg_play: using SSE optimised motion compensation
> mpg123: initialized layer1&2 tables
> mpg123: initializing with down_sample_sblimit 32
> mpg123: finished building decode tables
> gstgetbits: using i386 optimized versions
> audiosink: attempting to open sound device
> audiosink: setting sound card to 44100KHz 16 bit stereo (65576 bytes buffer,
> 32788 fragment)
> audiosink: Capabilities
> audiosink:   Trigger
> audiosink:   Direct access
> audiosink: opened audio with fd=10
> mpeg_play: MPEG1 352x240, 24 fps
> gstplay: eos reached
> audiosink: closed sound device
>
> ** CRITICAL **: file mpeg1parse.c: line 657 (gst_mpeg1parse_chain): assertion
> `buf != NULL' failed.
>
> on stdout.

That seems reasonable. The last error you get is because of the lack of
EOS detection, you can
safely ignore it. This problem is fixed in CVS...

What bothers me is that you claim that the MPEG file is 1 minute and it
only plays for 9 seconds.
How did you verify that it is 1 minute playtime? It looks from the log
that the MPEG just played
thoughout the end in gstmediaplay.

> ok, i thought, i'll put that down to experience (and tell you guys about the
> problem).  i then tried gsteditor and i get:
>
> ======================== output from gsteditor ==============================
> INFO: Initializing GStreamer Core Library
> INFO: CPU features: MMX SSE
>
> ** WARNING **: GstEditorProject: could not find signal handler
> 'on_show_palette1_activate'.
> ** WARNING **: GstEditorProject: could not find signal handler
> 'on_show_element_tree1_activate'.
> ** WARNING **: GstEditorProject: could not find signal handler
> 'on_preferences2_activate'.
> ** WARNING **: GstEditorProject: could not find signal handler
> 'on_save1_activate'.
> ** WARNING **: GstEditorProject: could not find signal handler
> 'on_new_file1_activate'.
> ** WARNING **: GstEditorProject: could not find signal handler
> 'on_cut1_activate'.
> ** WARNING **: GstEditorProject: could not find signal handler
> 'on_project_options1_activate'.
> ** WARNING **: GstEditorProject: could not find signal handler
> 'on_paste1_activate'.
> ** WARNING **: GstEditorProject: could not find signal handler
> 'on_clear1_activate'.
> ** WARNING **: GstEditorProject: could not find signal handler
> 'on_exit1_activate'.
> ** WARNING **: GstEditorProject: could not find signal handler
> 'on_show_property_editor1_activate'.
> ** WARNING **: GstEditorProject: could not find signal handler
> 'on_about_activate'.
> ** WARNING **: GstEditorProject: could not find signal handler
> 'on_copy1_activate'.
> ** WARNING **: gsteditorproperty: could not find signal handler
> 'on_bt_pick_signal_clicked'.

This is normal too and can safely be ignored :-)

> i can do very little (i.e. i can create things and change their properties
> but can't do much else).

Try this:

1. create a thread
2. click on the thread and select a disksrc from the list, set the
location to an mp3
    audio file using the property dialog
3. add mp3parse and mpg123 t
4. add an audiosink element
5. click-and-drag on the green pads to connect the green disksrc source
pad (to the right) to
    the green sink pad in mp3parse. In a similar way, connect the src
pad of mp3parse to mpg123's sink
    and finally connect mpg123 src to audiosink sink pad.
6. on the thread object press the 3rd button on the lower left side
(with the black P in it)
7 you should hear your mp3 now.

Note that the editor is in a bad shape, both the GUI and the
functionalties it provides.

> i'm hoping you can suggest what might be the problem (user error is an
> acceptable answer :).  here are my system details, if you need more just ask:

Nope, it's just that most of the end user apps are in a pretty bad
shape, especially the editor. We
are currently working on improving the core libraries first and we will
then move on to a
complete rewrite of the player and the editor components.

Regards,

Wim

--
gossip, n.:
        Hearing something you like about someone you don't.