[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] Changes in CVSROOT

Erik Walthinsen omega at temple-baptist.com
Wed Feb 13 13:12:16 CET 2002

On Wed, 2002-02-13 at 12:43, Ronald Bultje wrote:

> This might sound dumb, but why do we need two CVS lists? If you're not
> interested in the content of the patches, you wouldn't subscribe to
> gst-cvs anyway, would you?

There seem to be two camps:

1) want to see CVS mail but don't want to get inundated with flat diffs
2) want to see CVS mail and won't bother checking diffs unless attached

Since there's really no way of doing it without two separate lists,
that's what we have to do.  I'll be subscribing to the original list,
with the viewcvs links (colored, side-by-side diffs on demand!), and
taaz and others will be subscribing to the -verbose list, so they can
get diffs right away (boring, flat diffs <g>).

The key point is that the commit messages are (or should be) a
significant percentage of the usefulness of the cvs mail.  People need
to be able to get those without being inundated with diffs that may not
need to be read.  If I want to read the diffs, I can just as easily
click the link as scroll down, and I personally can make more sense of
things with a colordiff than a flat unidiff....

      Erik Walthinsen <omega at temple-baptist.com> - System Administrator
        __
      _\  /_