[gst-devel] GConf stuff

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Mon Jun 10 01:52:09 CEST 2002

On Fri, 2002-06-07 at 17:04, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> Personally, I'd like it if through some advanced mode you could also
> provide default audio and video output pipelines, so that you can do funky
> undocumented stuff, like always use the agingTV effect when playing video
> ;)
>
> And an audiosrc would make sense as well I guess.  Maybe even videosrc.

Watch out here! the currently available videosrcs, audiosrcs etc. (even
the videosinks such as videosink/sdlvideosink/aasink) are *not*
compatible, which is the worst problem here. We could do two things:
A) get our heads together and make sdlvideosink, aasink and videosink
plugin-command-compatible, i.e. that they require the same kind of
commands to be used (they don't have to be the same, but they should be
somewhat compatible). This is especially true for simple things like
alsasrc/osssrc and alsasink/osssink, which should really work exactly
the same (ie. same g_object_{set,get},property() names/behaviour).
For videosrc's, this is already somewhat harder, since
v4lsrc/v4lmjpegsrc/future_expansions_of_these are different types of
hardware and can hardly react the same. The solution here is the second
thing:
B) to make the application aware of the differences, so that if
v4lmjpegsrc is selected, it displays this-and-this settings, and if
v4lsrc is selected, it displayes these-and-these settings. This might
also be a solution for the sdlvideosink/aasink/videosink thing, but then
we need to make gst-player either aware of sdlvideosink/aasink.

Of course, selecting aasink or sdlvideosink in gst-player would work,
but it'd open a new sdl/aa window to display the video, while you'd
actually want it to display the video in the application windows -
that's the kind of things I'm talking about here. :-).

Besides that, I didn't mention yet that I think it's a great thing!
Thanks, Thomas and Dobey!

Ronald

--
-   .-.