[gst-devel] mpeg plugin problems

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Tue Oct 1 01:19:04 CEST 2002

Hi,

> Hi
> can someone help me out in building the mpeg playback plugins (mpeg2dec,
> and a52dec, i think?)
> i have installed gstreamer 4.1, the mpeg2dec library, and the a52dec
> library into /opt/gnome2 and /opt/gnome2/lib/gst is included in my
> /etc/ld.so.conf (if htat matters) but for some reason, the mpeg2dec and
> a52dec plugins are not being created.  are there any additional
> requirements?

First of all, why build the dependencies from source if there are packages
for your
distribution ? See http://gstreamer.net/releases/redhat/ for more info.
Make sure you install the -devel packages as well.

Second, why build GStreamer from source if there are packages for it as
well ? ;)

Third, if you do decide to do everything from source, you need to learn
how configure works and what it does exactly.  For one thing, check
config.log and search for a52 and mpeg2 and look why it is failing the
build.  My guess is, it's not picking up your headers because they're not
in a standard place.

The solution to that is, basically, "convert all those libs to pkgconfig".
Failing that, you might get away with checking output of ./configure and
seeing if for those libs you can specify paths, or, setting your CFLAGS
before running configure.

But if you've never done that sort of thing before, you'll be in a lot of
pain until you figure this all out, so if you just want to give GStreamer
a try, go for the packages.

Thomas

I'm gonna turn on you before you turn on me
<-*- thomas at apestaart.org -*->