[gst-devel] Re: Wish List Plugins

Christian HJ Wiesner christianhjw at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 6 11:32:02 CET 2003

Ronald Bultje wrote:
> I've integrated xvid inside lavrec some time ago (encoder), shouldn't be hard
> to include xvid as a gst plugin either (encoder) and fix up the decoder
> a bit. Since there's interest, I'll see what I can do (no, it won't be
> in the release tonight ;-) ).
> Ronald

Forgive me if this is complete rubbish ( what can you expect from a
maketing guy with no clue about how to code ), but wouldnt it be easier
to make a kind of gst-plugin wrapper interfacing to xvid.dll via the new
internal API 3 ? This way there was no need to upgrade the plugin all
the time if something changes, replacing with latest DLL would be
sufficient ? Or is this the plan and i just didnt get it ?

Sorry for asking. I really do hope either omega or Alex Stewart (
uci.sf.net ) can push the idea of a universal codec API forward soon ...
unfortunately UCI seems to be progressing very slowly recently ...

Christian