[gst-devel] New Plugin: gstdvbsrc

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Mon Jul 14 13:30:03 CEST 2003

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 04:47:46PM +0200, Martin Eikermann wrote:
> The following questions arose while writing the plugin, hopefully
> someone can give me a hint on some of these:
>
>     1. I currently assume that a systemstream (accepted by mpegdemux) is
> equivalent to a program stream emmited by dvbsrc. Am I wrong? If so, I'm
> wondering what's the difference system stream/program stream.
> systemstream == mpeg1; programstream == mpeg2 ??

System streams are defined in the original MPEG standard.  MPEG-2
introduced transport streams and program streams.  Transport
streams are really different and are intended for broadcast
streaming, which is why they're used in DVB.  GStreamer doesn't
currently have a transport stream demuxer.

>     3. Is it possible to patch mpeg2dec/mad plugins to accept PES
> streams? This would make the plugin much simpler.

Uh, they _only_ handle element streams.

dave...