[gst-devel] gst-player performance

Colin Fox cfox at cfconsulting.ca
Mon Oct 20 02:56:03 CEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 00:46, Ronald Bultje wrote:
> Hi sylvain & Colin,
>
> On Sat, 2003-10-18 at 14:50, Sylvain BERTRAND wrote:
> > I got the same issue... the spider filter selects the avifiles
> > decoder/encoder(windec) when dealing with avi(mpeg4) encoded files.
>
> This is likely the issue, yes. However, you really just want to delete
> the windec plugin. We removed it in HEAD CVS long time ago. The only
> reason for keeping it in 0.6.x is so we don't have regressions.
>
> We might want to remove the rank on the avifile plugin in the next 0.6.x
> release.

What about my other point, though - the choppiness of the gst player? Is
that just because it's a development version, or is there something
inherent in the whole gst technique that imposes too much overhead to
have a smooth video stream?

I'm really interested in producing some video editing tools (something
like iMovie). I'd love to use the gstreamer libraries, but that will
only work if the performance is there to be had.

Is there anything I can do to get the player to play faster/smoother?

cf