[gst-devel] gst-player performance

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Mon Oct 20 05:58:15 CEST 2003

Hi Colin,

On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 11:50, Colin Fox wrote:
> I'm really interested in producing some video editing tools (something
> like iMovie). I'd love to use the gstreamer libraries, but that will
> only work if the performance is there to be had.

So am I. ;).

> Is there anything I can do to get the player to play faster/smoother?

No. Likely, it's using an outdated plugin. Using --gst-mask=-1 should
give you the info of which plugin it uses for decoding. I don't have any
choppiness issues (P-3 500 MHz). Then again, I'm using CVS HEAD. ;).

And this plugin mess in 0.6.x is indeed annoying. Sorry for that. I've
deleted several obsolete plugins from HEAD, it should behave a bit
better. If you're considering video-app-development based on GStreamer,
you definately want to use HEAD. Using 0.6.x is not at all an option,
everything related to video output/encoding is broken there. (This is
not 100% true, but take it as a starting point, it'll save you from a
lot of troubles. Use HEAD. ;).)

Ronald

Linux Video/Multimedia developer