[gst-devel] Undefined symbols

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Sun Apr 4 06:47:01 CEST 2004

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:

> But how can the function know which other modules does it need to load to get
> one working properly?  It can't know which dependencies are needed if they are
> recorded nowhere...

It's recorded in the plugin_init function of the plugin. It does a
gst_library_load of the plugins it requires.

> I still think that explicitly linking dependent modules together (as I showed
> in that "patch") should be done.  (So when you open A, if A uses B, you get B
> loaded too).  I can provide some patches for these, if wanted.

Linking dependant modules together is a lot harder to than just one line
in the plugin_init function.
And I'm not sure that linking plugins is portable.

> > > Note that with 0.6, this problem did not exist...
> >
> > We haven't really changed how we do plugins since 0.6.
>
> Maybe in 0.6 the plugins I see failing did not have those "hidden dependencies"
> between them, so they could load and work.

The avi plugins did this in 0.6 already. But we have a lot more
dependencies in 0.8 than in 0.6 And it'll only become more in the future.

Benjamin