[gst-devel] Undefined symbols

Julio M. Merino Vidal jmmv at menta.net
Sun Apr 4 23:16:04 CEST 2004

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 15:46:21 +0200 (DFT)
Benjamin Otte <in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
>
> > But how can the function know which other modules does it need to load to get
> > one working properly?  It can't know which dependencies are needed if they are
> > recorded nowhere...
> >
> It's recorded in the plugin_init function of the plugin. It does a
> gst_library_load of the plugins it requires.

Ah ok, that makes perfect sense.  Thanks for the point!  (now I know where
to look at ;)

> > > We haven't really changed how we do plugins since 0.6.
> >
> > Maybe in 0.6 the plugins I see failing did not have those "hidden dependencies"
> > between them, so they could load and work.
> >
> The avi plugins did this in 0.6 already. But we have a lot more
> dependencies in 0.8 than in 0.6 And it'll only become more in the future.

So it seems I'm hitting bugs in the code that are probably only exposed here
(NetBSD) by differences in how dlopen'ed modules are handled (just guessing).
I've already fixed some, and I'll be sending bug reports in the next days
about them, when they work properly.

Cheers

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv at menta.net>