[gst-devel] tcp elements

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Fri Apr 23 05:09:16 CEST 2004

Hi,

I've been looking over the tcp src and sink we have currently.  It only
works in some simple cases, and the code isn't very clean, so I started
cleaning it up a little.  I'm not sure though the current approach is
correct.

Thinking about it, I feel we should change some things a little.

The current tcpsrc, as seen from the network side, acts as a *client*
sending data to a server.  The tcpsink acts as a *server* accepting
tcpsrc clients.  While this works, part of the code of tcpsink seems to
suggest it can try to accept more than one client.  For general tcp
servers this is fine, however I don't see the sense in having a src
element in the GStreamer world accepting data from more than one tcpsink
client at a time :)

So, in principle a tcp connection between two pipelines could be made
with either of the two connecting elements acting as the server.  The
difference lies in which pipe needs to be started first, and the fact
that a tcpsink server implementation can accept more than one client
consuming the data, which would be useful in some scenarios.

Does anyone mind if I rework the plugins, and create tcpserversink,
tcpclientsink, tcpserversrc and tcpclientsrc ?

Thomas

Gotta keep moving on
lover you hide from me every time