[gst-devel] tcp elements

Zeeshan Ali zeelists at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 23 12:37:09 CEST 2004

Hello,

> I've been looking over the tcp src and sink we have
> currently.  It only
> works in some simple cases, and the code isn't very
> clean, so I started
> cleaning it up a little.

    Good.

> While this works, part of the code
> of tcpsink seems to
> suggest it can try to accept more than one client.
> For general tcp
> servers this is fine, however I don't see the sense
> in having a src
> element in the GStreamer world accepting data from
> more than one tcpsink
> client at a time :)

     Yeah, I don't remember why did i do that and why
did that guy from spain (I am not good at remembering
names but I know that it was'nt Ramon) did'nt point
this out.

> The
> difference lies in which pipe needs to be started
> first,

     Can we provide both modes in both? I mean if
either of the src and sink could be run as server or a
client?

> and the fact
> that a tcpsink server implementation can accept more
> than one client
> consuming the data, which would be useful in some
> scenarios.

    Yeah that would be a good idea.

> Does anyone mind if I rework the plugins, and create
> tcpserversink,
> tcpclientsink, tcpserversrc and tcpclientsrc ?

    Nope, not atleast me. :) BTW, keeping tcp plugins
simple was because of the fact that I wrote them to be
used by the RTP/RTSP plugins. As we have'nt progressed
any further on the RTP/RTSP side, making the tcp
plugins a little better would be a good idea. Bye.

=====
"To teach how to live without certainty, and yet without being paralysed by hesitation, is perhaps the chief thing that philosophy, in our age, can still do for those who study it." --Bertrand Russell

"According to all the rules (of Software Engineering) I knew, Linux should have been a disaster, but it was'nt. Instead it was something wonderfull" -- Eric Raymond