[gst-devel] bugzilla email notification request

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Thu Dec 16 04:20:01 CET 2004

Hey guys,

Short explanation: I merge my laptop's email inbox once a week with all
others, and use that as archive. This week, I did that, and had the
surprising and shocking amount of 6,5k emails.

Many of those emails are silly bugzilla notifications with status
updates such as "this should be merged for the next release" or other
such comments that may be useful if it were one or two, but become mere
noise for me at this quantity. If 50 bugs get such a status update, you
can be sure that A) I don't look at it, because we don't have time to
look at 50 bugs at the same time, and B) that I will unsubscribe from
bugzilla notifications or just not read them.

Therefore my simple request: please stop doing that. If you want me or
Thomas or anyone to look at a (list of) bug(s), send us a private email
with the list of bug numbers.

Stephane's bug updates were somewhat useful because he added keywords
and all that, but the same goes there: it's too much. I read 1 or 2 and
just ignored the others. The bug updates may be useful, but the
notifications definately aren't. I don't know how to solve it (I wish
there was a button "don't send notification for this change"). The same
probably goes here: it's better to email us privately then to update
status of 100+ bugs. In a nutshell, you could say that bugzilla doesn't
scale for me.

Thanks,

Ronald

--