[gst-devel] clocking

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Thu Feb 5 05:22:02 CET 2004

Hi,

It seems gst_clock_id_wait_async was deprecated somewhere along the
line. I used it in soundscrape to tell me when a certain time had
passed, so if for instance I was rendering a stream to disk I could know
when to stop.

But looking closer, it seems we're going into 0.8 with a really confused
clocking situation. gst_element_wait uses gst_clock_id_*, but for some
reason has to put its own prototypes into gstelement.h. This new
function uses deprecated old ones. Useful functions have been deprecated
with no replacement. The only docs we have are a tentative document in
random/ with lots of FIXMEs and unresolved questions.

I don't do video/audio sync or anything, but I'm sure that situation is
fine as otherwise the whole world would be bitching. But I guess my
question is, what are we doing headed towards 0.8 with deprecated API?

BTW: I consider either the deprecation of id_wait_async or the lack of
gst_clock_wait_async to be a 0.8 blocker.

Regards,
--
Andy Wingo <wingo at pobox.com>