[gst-devel] qtdemux questions

W. Michael Petullo mike at flyn.org
Sat Jan 10 14:54:03 CET 2004

>> I don't see any mention of mov in 0.7.3's gst-launch-ext nor do I see
>> it in CVS
>> (http://freedesktop.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/gstreamer/gst-plugins/tools/gst-launch-ext.in?rev=1.5&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup).
>> Am I missing something?

> Interesting, it's missing... Anyway...
>
> gst-launch filesrc location=file.mov ! qtdemux name=demux .video_00 ! {
> queue ! ffdec_svq3 ! ffcolorspace ! ximagesink } { demux.audio_00 !
> queue ! faad ! osssink }
>
> to play back SVQ3-with-MPEG-AAC-2 quicktime, for example.
>
> I'll add this to gst-launch-ext...

Thank you!  I do have a few more questions.

1.  What is the difference between ximagesink and xvideosink?  The latter
seems to support Xv but the former does not.  Is there more to it?

2.  When using spider, how can you determine the pipeline segment it
creates for you?

3.  Libquicktime (modified quicktime4linux) contains a nice little utility
named qtinfo.  Qtinfo displays the codecs contained in a QuickTime file
and tells the user if the proper plugins are available to decode it.
Could one acheive similar results somehow using gstreamer?  Something that
goes beyond what gst-typefind does and prints the actual codecs within
a QuickTime, AVI, etc. file?

4.  When would one use jpegdec vs. ffmjpeg_dec?

This does nothing (QuickTime file with MJPEG/twos audio):
gst-launch-0.7 filesrc location=foo.mov ! qtdemux name=demux .video_00 ! { queue ! ffdec_mjpeg ! xvideosink }
RUNNING pipeline
Caught interrupt

This opens a blank window and then seg. faults:
gst-launch-0.7 filesrc location=foo.mov ! qtdemux name=demux .video_00 ! { queue ! jpegdec ! xvideosink }

5.  How do you decode MJPA (MJPA stores each frame as two JPEGs interlaced
and in YUV 4:2:2)?

--
Mike

:wq