[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] company gstreamer: gstreamer/ gstreamer/gst/

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Mon Jan 26 05:58:01 CET 2004

El lun, 26-01-2004 a las 14:20, Benjamin Otte escribió:
> On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
>
> > > It only got added because of a bug somewhere else.
> >
> > Yep, by me, working on the system.
> >
> Nope, it was added by Julien to fix a compile issue he had, which was a
> bug in a plugin as was quickly found out.

I meant, the bug was put there by me while I was working on the error
system.  The reason Julien made that commit afterwards was precisely
because I put in the "bug" of forgetting to create the category, and I
didn't find out because I didn't have divx libraries so the plugin was
skipped for me.

> > > You're now free to remove it again since you obviously don't trust me.
> >
> > Sigh, trust has nothing to do with it, I would have mailed the exact
> > same thing regardless of who would have done the commit.  In fact, I
> > even agree with the patch, but that's not the point.
> >
> So you broke CVS on purpose just to prove a point?

I could be mistaken, but AFAICT all I did is put back a define for
LIBRARY_ENCODE that you removed, while the divx plugin still uses that
define.

So AFAICT, with your removal cvs was broken, and putting it back fixed
it again.  If I'm wrong, feel free to set me in my place.

> That code in there was non functional in that it didn't even have a
> default error message associated with it and there were no
> LIBRARY_DECODE_ERROR and friends.

Exactly - my point from the beginning.  To repeat:
- while doing the whole conversion I noticed that I had automatically
assigned A) LIBRARY ENCODE error in one plugin and B) STREAM ENCODE
error in others.  The first was because it's really the library that
gives the error; the second was because it really is more symmetrical to
have _ENCODE, _DECODE, _MUX, _DEMUX in the same domain.
Hence, the conflict.

So what do I do ? I mail the list, saying "interesting, I have
conflicting issues on this matter and am unable to decide myself.  What
do you guys think ?" Because of that, I wait in finishing up stuff like
"fix all instances of A) to be like B)",  or "fix all instances of B) to
be like A)", or "fix the default message for A)".

I'm just waiting for comments, basically, until the time I get annoyed
and decide things myself :)

> So I removed that line, because apart from that line nothing looked as if
> it should be there
... except for the divx plugin using it, which is why it got added in
the first place.

> And I'd like to keep the headers as clean as possible.

I agree, and unless people decide "an encoding error could either be
because the library encoding is badly done when it's getting good input
data, or it could be because the input data we're feeding it is wrong,
so we really need BOTH LIBRARY_ENCODE and STREAM_ENCODE", I fully intend
on removing one of the two.  The only question is, which.

> As for your problem with LIBRARY error messages:
> I didn't add anything to that because I don't have an opinion on it.

That's fine.  I don't mind.  I just want to give everyone the chance to
chime in, and otherwise I'll decide myself.

The only thing I mind is people touching the stuff I'm working on
without realizing what's going on when I explicitly ask for feedback.
If you ask me about it I'll explain without fail.  But don't "fix" it
without taking the time to look into it.  I try to do the same, and feel
free to set me in my place when I don't.

Thomas

Lover fair
We'll be looking sharp I swear
I want them all to stop and stare