Status reports towards 0.8: was Re: [gst-devel] Totem, Gst-Player, libgstplay showstoppers

Leif Johnson leif at ambient.2y.net
Mon Jan 26 21:57:16 CET 2004

Hi all -

I'm just getting back on my feet here after a somewhat catastrophic
laptop hard drive failure. (And now, with a new powerbook, I'm quite
surprised at how much I'm enjoying Mac OS X ... it's giving me lots of
good UI ideas. :)

On 26 Jan 2004, at 13:49, Christian Schaller wrote:

> I guess what would be good is if everyone wrote a short mail to the
> list
> with what their hacking priorities are before 0.8. ie what do they plan
> to look at and in what order. Julien lists some of the issues in these
> mails, and there are probably other things other people are looking at.
> So to get stuff on the table and get a feel for what is getting looked
> at when; a short mail from David, Benjamin, Ronald, Thomas, Leif, Iain,
> Jeremy, Maciej and others about their priorities towards 0.8 would be
> really great in order to get a feeling we are all on the same page and
> also make sure that no major issues are falling between chairs here.

Anyway, I have a couple things I'd really like to get done for 0.8 :

- Write at least a good draft of the Plugin Writer's Guide. Thanks to
David's GstAudiofilter work and the make_filter script, I'm finally
motivated to do this. :) This might also be a good excuse for me to go
through and help out with David's all-plugins-up-to-standards project.

- I really want to get MIDI elements into the gst-plugins tree.
midiparse, alsamidi{src,sink}, and midienc should all be fairly
straightforward elements ; some sort of MIDI to dparams interface might
take more investigation on my part, but I think it also could be done
(ooh, and then we could do midisrc ! midi2dparams ! ladspa_synth !
alsasink, perhaps).

- I have enough diverse hardware at this point to do some good testing
with the ALSA elements ; I'd like to get those working well for more
people (and so that Christian doesn't get more emails about the mixer
not working, the next time he writes a GStreamer article).

That's it for me ... it doesn't seem like many other folks are working
on these, but let me know if I'd be crowding anyone else. I'd also
still like to work on realtime scheduling in GStreamer, but I don't
think there's a hope of that getting in by 0.8.

leif

--
Leif Morgan Johnson : http://ambient.2y.net/leif/