[gst-devel] Re: filepad

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Thu Jun 24 12:33:06 CEST 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Ronald Bultje wrote:

> I didn't look at this yet, but since I was working on something similar in
> gst-ffmpeg (for ffmpeg demuxer I/O wrapping), I'm wondering... How do you
> handle EOF and seekbacks after that?

I don't. It's impossible. GStreamer currently does not offer the
possibility to seek back after you hit EOS, because that changes the state
to PAUSED. It is one of the things that badly require fixing in 0.9.
In the plugins that require knowledge of this, I figure out EOS manually
by monitoring position and length of the stream. Oggdemux does that for
example.
It might be useful to add that to filepad though, so that gst_file_pad_eos
can trigger EOS even before the event arrives.

> Btw this is really cool, I'll try merging the gst-ffmpeg and all other
> gst-plugins demuxer I/O wrapping code to use this instead, seems a lot
> cleaner.

Thx. Hope you still like it when you've looked at it. ;)
And yeah, it was mostly me not wanting to use bytestream with its bad
event handling that made me write this instead :)

Benjamin