[gst-devel] Re: filepad

Ronald S. Bultje R.S.Bultje at students.uu.nl
Thu Jun 24 16:43:05 CEST 2004

Hi Benjamin,

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 21:32, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Ronald Bultje wrote:
> > I didn't look at this yet, but since I was working on something similar in
> > gst-ffmpeg (for ffmpeg demuxer I/O wrapping), I'm wondering... How do you
> > handle EOF and seekbacks after that?
> I don't. It's impossible. GStreamer currently does not offer the
> possibility to seek back after you hit EOS, because that changes the state
> to PAUSED. It is one of the things that badly require fixing in 0.9.
> In the plugins that require knowledge of this, I figure out EOS manually
> by monitoring position and length of the stream. Oggdemux does that for
> example.
> It might be useful to add that to filepad though, so that gst_file_pad_eos
> can trigger EOS even before the event arrives.

Please do. I currently do the same manual (... and ugly) check in ebml,
riff and ffmpeg. It sucks. :-(.

> > Btw this is really cool, I'll try merging the gst-ffmpeg and all other
> > gst-plugins demuxer I/O wrapping code to use this instead, seems a lot
> > cleaner.
> Thx. Hope you still like it when you've looked at it. ;)
> And yeah, it was mostly me not wanting to use bytestream with its bad
> event handling that made me write this instead :)

I suppose that the implementation isn't that much different from the
ones I did in ffmpeg, ebml and riff so I'm sure I'll like it. ;). I'm
looking forward to the changes in 0.9.x. :).

I'll try to port some/all of the demuxers to filepad at some point and
update the PWG. Don't expect magic tomorrow, though.

Ronald