[gst-devel] Ogg, Spider, and Volume not working together

John Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Thu Mar 4 12:12:16 CET 2004

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 02:48:28PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 12:29, John Thacker wrote:
> > I upgraded to 0.7.5 and then again to CVS HEAD, but noticed a tremendous
> > amount of static when trying to play any ogg files with rhythmbox.  You
> > can faintly hear the sound, but it's primarily static.  This occurs with
> > all ogg files, and with rhythmbox 0.6.7, 0.7.0, and the latest arch revision.
> >
> > Looking through the rhythmbox source, I noticed that it sends the stream
> > through spider and volume before going to the sink.  Experimenting on
> > the command line, I was able to reproduce the static with the following:
> >
> > gst-launch-0.7 filesrc location=filename.ogg ! spider ! volume ! osssink
>
> What if you add an ! audioconvert before osssink?

With ! volume removed, that fixes the osssink problems.  However,
as long as ! volume is present, I get static.  All combinations, like

! spider ! volume ! audioconvert ! alsasink
! spider ! audioconvert ! volume ! alsasink
! spider ! audioconvert ! volume ! audioconvert ! alsasink

(and same for the other sinks) give static.

John Thacker