[gst-devel] Ogg, Spider, and Volume not working together

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Fri Mar 5 05:42:09 CET 2004

Quoting John Thacker <thacker at math.cornell.edu>:

> I upgraded to 0.7.5 and then again to CVS HEAD, but noticed a tremendous
> amount of static when trying to play any ogg files with rhythmbox.  You
> can faintly hear the sound, but it's primarily static.  This occurs with
> all ogg files, and with rhythmbox 0.6.7, 0.7.0, and the latest arch
> revision.

I have fixed this in current CVS. A recent commit that does float to int
conversions in audioconvert had some issues. Spider (and therefore Rhythmbox)
use audioconvert internally.
Thanks for noticing.

> gst-launch-0.7 filesrc location=filename.ogg ! oggdemux ! vorbisdec !
> alsasink
>
> is also fine.  No sound if I use osssink, though, with lots of errors of
> the type:
> (process:29366): GStreamer-WARNING **: push on peer of pad vorbisdec0:src but
> peer is not active
>
> Trying to put volume in that path after vorbisdec produces an error:
> ** (process:29387): WARNING **: error scheduling group 0x8f45410

It should also produce an error that vorbisdec and osssink can't connect.
vorbisdec outputs float audio only while osssink only accepts int audio. At
least if I remember that correctly.
Alsasink does float, so it works as it should.

Benjamin