[gst-devel] Base elements in GStreamer 0.10

Jan Schmidt thaytan at noraisin.net
Fri Dec 9 02:25:09 CET 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 11:07 +0100, Jérôme Patey wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I wondered why there wasn't a GstBaseDecoder, comparable to a
> GstBaseSrc that ease the development of source elements...
>
>     Why can't decoders be based on GstBaseTransform ? They "transform"
> data in some way...

They also "sink" data and "src" data, so why not base them on BaseSrc or
BaseSink? ;)

Seriously, it's just not the way we defined BaseTransform -
BaseTransform is for transformations that are based purely on the caps
on each pad, independent of the data content itself.

A BaseDecoder might be useful, but noone's done the legwork to decide
what common functionality is best factored out into such a decoder.
There's no reason we can't add GstBaseDecoder, GstBaseDemultiplexer,
GstBaseEncoder, GstBaseMultiplexer during the 0.10 series if someone
comes up with some good ones that have The Right Stuff.

J.

Jan Schmidt thaytan at noraisin.net

ENOSIG