[gst-devel] [newbie question] recording from v4l2 source is way too fast

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Thu Nov 3 09:17:48 CET 2005

Hi,

On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 17:38 +0100, Simon Lanzmich wrote:
> gst-launch-0.8 v4l2src ! deinterlace !
> video/x-raw-yuv,width=720,height=540 ! theoraenc quality=40 ! oggmux
> max-delay=1 max-page-delay=1 ! filesink location=test.ogg
>
> and the recording seems to run OK, since there are no error messages.
> However, when I play the video file, it is way too fast.

Your CPU is too slow, or actually the theora encoder is way too slow, to
make this run in realtime. So for every encoded frame, you lose a bunch
of other frames because it takes too long.

Solution is to decrease framesize, framerate etc., or to use another
codec, e.g. avimux in combination with ffenc_mpeg4, which should run
ok'ish in realtime (check your CPU usage using a CPU monitor to be
sure).

Cheers,
Ronald