[gst-devel] A/V Synchronization in Pipe

Stefan de Konink skinkie at xs4all.nl
Wed Sep 21 16:13:55 CEST 2005

Hi,

We, as in Local Broadcast Station, use Gstreamer for basically all our
transmissions. We started off with Shoutcast/Icecast for Ogg/Vorbis+Theora
streaming but due to latency Gstreamer replaced it for single channel
operations.

I want to use a gstreamer pipeline for playing DV/Theora on our media
server. The problem is A/V Sync. Currently for DV the only program which
get it right is VLC. Opposing to mplayer which gets it right on Theora,
but definately not on DV.

Mplayer is much more 'light' in compare to VLC, but we want to overlay a
stationlogo and VLC can do this, but with a 2.00 cpu usage I don't feel
quite happy using it.

Testing Gstreamer with DV and Theora/Vorbis on my laptop with a pipeline I
can't manage two things: position of the window (from the pipeline) and AV
Sync, the last one is just nasty. What would be the way to implement this
correctly from a pipe?

gst-launch-0.8 filesrc location=/mnt/media/leidschendamleeft001.dv.ogg !
oggdemux name=mux { mux. ! queue ! vorbisdec ! audioconvert ! osssink }
{mux. ! queue ! theoradec ! ffmpegcolorspace ! xvimagesink }

Another question. Maybe some of you know Sony's Anycast station. If I can
get gstreamer to do my stuff I'm really interested in a project to create
a Live-Broadcast system from Gstreamer. (Like LiveSupport did for Radio).
My current implementation consists in a webinterface and SMIL generator
for a cable text, but a (OSS) tool for Live productions would be quite
usefull. Saves a lot of commandline heroism.

Greetings,

Stefan de Konink