[gst-devel] RTSP/RTP streaming - setting correct clock rate

Wim Taymans wim at fluendo.com
Fri Aug 25 12:25:19 CEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 15:37 +0530, Deeptendu Bikash wrote:
> Hi,
>

> This problem has been solved!
>
> This was not a clock rate problem at all. After debugging, I found
> that the clock rate was being correctly set, after all.

That subset error you get is pretty harmless and should be solved in
CVS, as well.

> Setting the 'sync' property of the xvimagesink to false solved the
> problem!
>
> Can anyone explain about the sync property and why setting it to false
> caused the video to play smoothly?

rtspsrc acts as a live source (combining other UDP live sources,
actually) it however does not expose a clock with the rate at which it
produces data (yet), neither does it timestamp based on the pipeline
clock. In short, timing is totally screwed and setting sync=false on the
sinks makes them play the data at the rate at which they receive it. The
skipping and wrong framerate you see is because the sinks try to
synchronize the (wrong) buffer timestamps against the clock, this will
either result in a dropped frame (when it's too late) or in the display
of an emergency frame (when no frame has been played for 1 second, it
displays whatever is gets regardless of timestamps so that the user at
least sees something).

Hope that helps,

Wim

Wim Taymans <wim at fluendo.com>