[gst-devel] Signal processing in Gstreamer

ensonic ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Wed Jun 28 12:39:42 CEST 2006

hi,

On 5:35:44 pm 26/06/2006 Nennouche Sofiane <nennouch at yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently working on a project that requires
> improving a VoIP software using the functions of a DSP
> processor. DSP processors are processors specifically
> designed for signal processing, and work in duo with a
> generic purpose processor.The idea would be to make
> sure that all the signal processing operations
> required by the software are performed by the DSP
> processor. This VoIP software (Tapioca) is based on
> the GStreamer framework, and I assume that the signal
> processing in Tapioca is mainly performed by
> GStreamer.

Just write a normal element that :
- initialy loads the dsp code to the dsp,
- sends incomming data to the dsp,
- invokes processing and
- pushes result data from the dsp to the next element

This will basically work. The drawback is that if you have two dsp based
elemnts one after the other, you could avoid copying the result out of the
dsp memory, but this needs some work on gstreamer. Maybe subclassing
GstBuffer or some additional fields on caps.

> But after reading the GStreamer manual, I'm still
> unsure of how GStreamer handles signal processing.
>
> Please help me out,
>
> Thank you.
>
> Sofiane Nennouche

Stefan