[gst-devel] GstTuner

Lutz Müller lutz at topfrose.de
Mon Mar 20 10:17:18 CET 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 16:06 +0100, Stefan Kost wrote:
> what is the use case for this?

gnome-cd beethoven-op-18.tar.bz2 (playlist showing files in the tarball)
totem tuner:// (playlist showing channels)
gst-launch cdiocddasrc ! ... ! tarenc ! bz2enc ! filesink
location=tarball.tar.gz

But above all: Abstraction.

> Playing files from one tar-file is like
> using a playlist. GStreamer itself currently does not care about
> playlists (as far as I know). That is usually handled by apps.

Sure. But that itself doesn't mean we can't change it :-).

For me, there is no difference between
(1) a CD,
(2) a file sample.tar.bz2 containing audio files
(3) a tuner with a number of channels

It's like with the old audio discs: Put the needle on one track and
there you are.

So instead of using tags and properties for (1), other tags for (2)
(named differently as was lately proposed on this list) and a separate
interface for (3) we should aim for some abstraction.

Regards
--
Lutz Müller <lutz at topfrose.de>