[gst-devel] Move of gst-plugins-bad/gst/spectrum

ensonic ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Mon May 22 00:10:13 CEST 2006

hi,

over the weekend I have sort of recovered the spectrum analyzer in
gst-plugins-bad/gst/spectrum. I belive it fullfills the requirements of the
'plugin-moving' policy. Still there are some open 'issues' I'd like to
discuss before:

1) where can it go: ugly/good?
The plugin contains integer FFT routines from xmms (GPL). As we link to
them the plugins becomes GPL too. The xmms-files miss the copyright
headers. In the current cvs the files don't seem to be present anymore (or
in this form):
http://cvs.xmms.org/cvsweb.cgi/xmms/xmms/fft.c?rev=1.3&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

2) delivering results
The resulting spectrum is pushed out as a buffer right now. If one asks for
256 frequency bands, the resulting buffer is guint[bands] with the level
per band. This basically works. What I am worried about is the caps to use
for such data?
And tehre is an alternative. The level element works as a basetransform,
which leaves the data as it is, but sends messages with analysis results. I
could turn the spectrum element into a subclass of basetransform and do the
same. Would that be better?

3) code review
Who would support moving the plugin. Can anyone review the changes?
http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-bad/gst/spectrum/

Thanks!
  Stefan