[gst-devel] [Fwd: GstIndex: some questions about usage]

ensonic ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Thu Nov 23 15:05:37 CET 2006

hi,

maybe I should outline my interest into the index stuff. Current demuxers
build an index table in memory when parsing the container. That is usually
a list of structs, where each struct is one index enry. the index entry
contains stuff like byte-position, timestamp and flags. For the avidemuxer
thsi struct is 44 bytes. For long clips this could lead to quite some
memory usage (several mb).

I understood the pluggable indexer concept as a way to have different
storage backends. The 'normal' indexer would keep a list (or tree) of index
entries. Then we could have a 'low-mem' indexer, that would rather
recalculate things that caching them and that could also merge index
entries to keep the total index size below some minimum. For the latter I
have some code that uses lots of #ifdefs in avidemux, which is quite a pita.

Stefan