[gst-devel] Filtering with catch-all mime type video/*?

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Tue Oct 3 22:56:26 CEST 2006

On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 09:39:33PM +0300, Ville Syrjälä wrote:
> I'm trying to insert a capsfilter element to my pipeline. I'd like the
> element to limit the caps as little as possible (eg. just width and
> height for video). I see the plugin writers guide mentions video/* and
> audio/* types, but if I use them the caps go empty. If I use
> video/x-raw-yuv things work but then I've already limited the incoming
> format unnecessarily. Are these catch-all video/* and audio/* types
> supposed to work here or do I have to explicitly list all video formats
> that could pass through the element?

Caps name strings, e.g., "video/x-raw-yuv", are matched as strings
without globbing, so "video/x-raw-yuv" != "video/*".  This is
somewhat of a limitation, but not one that was a priority when these
things were decided.

The filter for "video of a particular size" is
"video/x-raw-yuv,width=320,height=240;video/x-raw-rgb,width=320,height=240".

dave...

--
David Schleef
Big Kitten LLC (http://www.bigkitten.com/) -- data acquisition on Linux