[gst-devel] HTTP source plugin

Michael Smith msmith at fluendo.com
Tue Sep 19 17:04:12 CEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 17:00 +0200, David SIORPAES wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using gstreamer in an embedded environment with quite limited
> resources and I need to use gstreamer-0.8.12 for compatibility reasons
> with some  applications.
>
> I need to instantiate a gst element that acts as a HTTP source but it
> looks like the only one that can do the job is the gnomevfssrc element.
> I would not like to bloat my system with all the gnome libraries this
> plugin depends on so I am trying to sort out an alternative.
>
> Old fashioned glib-based gsthttpsrc element is not there anymore,
> whereas the neon-based plugin "gstneonhttp" is only available in 0.10
> "bad" plugins package.
>
> Is there any other solution I can look for before backporting the
> neon-based element to 0.8 ? any other hint ?

You are, of course, welcome to write a new 0.8 element using libneon for
your purposes. However, it's fairly likely to be better for you to
upgrade your application(s) instead - 0.10 simply works a lot better,
more reliably, and the existing plugins are generally more stable and
better supported.

Also, I doubt anyone will be interested in helping you with 0.8 at all -
if you choose this route, you'll be entirely on your own.

Mike