[gst-devel] Initialization Time Reducing!

Debi Prosad Dogra debiprosaddogra at yahoo.co.in
Tue Jan 16 05:42:57 CET 2007

Hi,
  Can anyone please help me to understand few things related to gstreamer initialization time?
  We are trying to develop the gstreamer based media player for ARM based mobile platform with 64MB memory and 500MHz processor speed.
  We use ffmpeg for the main source of codecs. When first time we start the application after switching on the mobile device it takes much time to open and start playing because of loading shared library files.
  My questions are as follows:
  1. Is it possible to minimize the loading time of the shared library files during the first booting of the machine? We have already checked using seperately loding shared library. It did not reduce the time as we wanted.
  2. Is it possible to avoid loading all the shared library files when we need to load
  only particular library (for example user uants to play MP4 files (mpeg4 video, aac audio)). When the user restart the mobile why it is required to load all the shared library files at a time?
  Maxumum time is consumed here to load all those shared library files.
  3. libgstffmpeg.so is a file which takes most time to load ( because it loads libav*.so files with big sizes). But when ffmpeg is used separately, for example
  ffmpeg of ffplay it does not take much time to start the application. Why this happens?
  Any help on those doubts is happily accepted.
  Regards
  Debi Prosad Dogra
  ETRI, South Korea