[gst-devel] Initialization Time Reducing!

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 09:08:30 CET 2007

Hi,

On 1/16/07, Debi Prosad Dogra <debiprosaddogra at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> Hi,
> Can anyone please help me to understand few things related to gstreamer
> initialization time?
> We are trying to develop the gstreamer based media player for ARM based
> mobile platform with 64MB memory and 500MHz processor speed.
> We use ffmpeg for the main source of codecs. When first time we start the
> application after switching on the mobile device it takes much time to open
> and start playing because of loading shared library files.
> My questions are as follows:
> 1. Is it possible to minimize the loading time of the shared library files
> during the first booting of the machine? We have already checked using
> seperately loding shared library. It did not reduce the time as we wanted.

  Yes, you can reduce that boot time a lot by using the binary
registry (instead of the xml-based registry). It has just been added
to gstreamer cvs. There is a configure option to build the binary
registry instead of the xml one. That registry was done specifically
with embedded devices in mind.

> 2. Is it possible to avoid loading all the shared library files when we need
> to load
> only particular library (for example user uants to play MP4 files (mpeg4
> video, aac audio)). When the user restart the mobile why it is required to
> load all the shared library files at a time?
> Maxumum time is consumed here to load all those shared library files.

  A shared library is only loaded at startup IF AND ONLY IF the shared
library file has changed.

> 3. libgstffmpeg.so is a file which takes most time to load ( because it
> loads libav*.so files with big sizes). But when ffmpeg is used separately,
> for example
> ffmpeg of ffplay it does not take much time to start the application. Why
> this happens?

  Same comment as above, if .so hasn't changed AND you don't use it in
your application, it will not be loaded.

     Edward

> Any help on those doubts is happily accepted.
> Regards
> Debi Prosad Dogra
> ETRI, South Korea

>  Here's a new way to find what you're looking for - Yahoo! Answers

Edward Hervey
Multimedia editing developer / Fluendo S.A.
http://www.pitivi.org/